Paul Zhang is a managing director in the life sciences practice. He began his professional career in the pharmaceutical industry; over the span of seven years, his diverse responsibilities included oncology drug discovery, strategic planning, and pipeline valuation.
Since joining Easton Associates LLC (now Navigant) in New York City in 2002, Paul has focused on advising biotech, pharmaceutical, and medical device clients in new product planning and market entry strategies. He opened the China office for Easton Associates in 2010 and has been managing its operations, serving multinational pharmaceutical and medical device as well as regional players, who aim to expand their business in Asia-Pacific markets.
Examples of the 100+ projects that he has conducted or managed over the years include:
- Produced a global ophthalmic market forecast, incorporating 100+ interviews in a dynamic patient share distribution model that predicts significance of market segments and new MoAs
- Led the opportunity assessment of a novel anti-thrombotic for ACS indications, including detailed market forecast and clinical development path
- Developed the launch plan for a breakthrough immunotherapy approved for prostate cancer
- Led a series of search and evaluation projects for a top-5 pharmaceutical company, identifying/profiling in-licensing drug candidates and benchmarking clients’ internal efforts
- Evaluated the diverse R&D portfolio for a mid-sized pharmaceutical company, leading to prioritization of therapeutic areas and individual projects
- Conducted due diligence of a private pharmaceutical company in pain management and women’s health area, for a private equity firm
- Conducted in-person market research with urologists in China to assess the competitive landscape for prostate cancer and true market potential
- Led dermatology market assessment for an Asia-Pacific marketing company that helped to prioritize on market and pipeline anchor products
Paul has authored a number of white papers published in leading industry journals.