Charles (Chuck) Tooman is a director in Navigant's Energy practice. He has broad experience developing, implementing, and improving business and risk management programs for the largest utilities and merchant energy companies in the world. Much of his work is aimed at aligning the business strategy, operational, and risk management objectives of his clients, given challenges in global energy markets.
Key considerations in his work include knowledge of leading practices in strategy, organizational, and process design, as well as evolving risk management and business standards from rating agencies, oversight organizations, and regulatory groups.
Specific client work has focused on enhancing performance and strategic decision-making through the development and implementation of "fit for purpose" business processes, organizational designs, risk and business policies, strategic plans, and corporate governance frameworks. Selected engagement experiences include leading teams assisting in:
- The redesign and implementation of the strategic planning organization (including definition of performance goals and objectives) and leadership of other operational enhancement projects on behalf of one of the largest enterprises in North America.
- The assessment of energy management alternatives (including sale or joint venture or outsourcing) as one aspect of a strategic review of an entire merchant energy organization.
- The comprehensive review of the infrastructure, capabilities, and general maturity level of the risk management function of a merchant energy company.
- The delivery of a comprehensive scorecard assessment of a company’s enterprise risk management program, comparing current practices and infrastructure versus leading and peer practice standards.
- The comprehensive strategic and operational assessment of one of the largest municipal utilities in the U.S., prioritizing strategic challenges to which the company must be responsive and benchmarking current operations.
- The design and delivery of a comprehensive business transformation program focused in three critical areas of improvement: organizational design and change management, business process management, and tools and data supporting more effective personnel management.
In addition to acting as a strategic partner to his clients, Chuck is a consistent participant in conferences and leading contributor to thought leadership initiatives.