Brian is an expert in data governance, privacy, and analytics. He helps clients manage their enterprise information by developing solutions to support legal, compliance, and commercial functions. His background of business technology and analytics, data privacy and security, and dispute and investigation support give him to have a unique perspective on how enterprise data proliferates through a global organization and how it must be governed to manage risk and can be analyzed to make critical business decisions.
As a Certified Information Privacy Professional with a European focus (CIPP/E), Brian leads Navigant's service offering to help clients assess their data privacy risks, build data governance frameworks, and operationalize those programs to demonstrate compliance with European Union's General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) and similar global privacy and security regulations. Brian works with clients to develop frameworks which integrate compliance, information security, information technology, and legal functions in order to demonstrate and maintain compliance in an efficient manner.
Additionally, Brian has extensive experience conducting complex data analytics for commercial operations, risk management, and investigations. He has led teams who identify and analyze large, disparate data sets in bot structured and unstructured formats. He leads teams in the development of custom database coding to interrogate that data and creation of visualization and dashboarding to provide rapid insight on key performance indicators to quantify risk or opportunity.
Examples of Brian's project work include:
- Data Privacy - led team in the development and implementation of policies and procedures to demonstrate compliance with the EU General Data Protection Regulation including data inventories, data subject rights handling, data protection impact assessments, and other requirements.
- Life Science Transparency Reporting - led team conducting advanced analytics to identify potentially reportable transactions with healthcare providers both within and outside the US
- Information Governance - guided clients developing data inventories/maps and conducting gap assessments to modernize their analytics, compliance, legal, business intelligence, and privacy programs
- Life Science Compliance - Led the development of advanced analytics, algorithms and dashboards to analyze payment and prescription data for internal audit and compliance and IRO support
- Healthcare Analytics - led development and delivery of business intelligence dashboard tool to allow healthcare systems conduct analyses of their commercial reimbursements and benchmark against the market at the MSA, facility, payer and service-line levels.
- International Banking - Led team in investigation of international banking activity under scope of FATCA. Analyzed historical customer profiles and wire transfer activity to identify responsive transactions to be reviewed for potential tax evasion.
- Fraud Detection - Led teams in the development of algorithms and custom dashboards to monitor and investigate suspicious activity in vendor payment, financial trading, and time-entry systems.
- Anti-Money Laundering - Supported financial institutions in remediation of Anti-Money Laundering (AML) systems. Conducted reconciliations, gap analyses, and provided scenario tuning guidance based on data profiles.
- Data Discovery - Led audio and structured data discovery efforts for clients in energy and CPG industries facing class-action complaints.
- Mortgage Backed Securities - Oversaw the discovery and analysis of multiple terabytes of loan and asset-backed securities in support of litigation being brought against client.
- False Claims Review - Managed multiple components of large Medicaid claim litigation. Replicated opposing experts damage model and developed review platform to assess validity.