Dustin Schmidt has more than 10 years of consulting experience, providing technical and strategic expertise to the government healthcare industry. He is an expert in Medicaid managed care and fee-for-service programs, with an emphasis on quality improvement, program monitoring, and performance improvement.
Dustin is a practice leader in conducting operational and performance improvement assessments for state Medicaid agencies and long-term services and supports (LTSS) agencies to improve efficiencies, reduce costs, enhance staff alignment, and improve quality of care. He also works with states as they implement healthcare reform initiatives – which involves performing a variety of activities, including contract development, creating/updating waiver applications, developing new programs to improve quality and reduce costs, crafting new policies and procedures, performing stakeholder outreach, and providing strategic expertise on staffing/organizational changes.
Select engagement highlights:
- Led a 500+ employee state Medicaid agency through a reorganization as it implemented several healthcare reform initiatives. Re-designed the organizational structure and re-engineered existing processes to streamline operations.
- Led a twenty-member Quality Assurance Committee identify quality measures for a $1 billion Medicaid long-term care program. Presented to the Committee on Federal and state requirements, best practices, and benchmark data to assist the Committee in its selection of thirty-five quality measures.
- Supported a state Medicaid agency improve its home and community-based services (HCBS) quality assurance program by developing operational dashboards, audit tools, standard operating procedures, and performance measures to evaluate performance.
- Developed a data driven approach to calculate the number of staff needed for a call center and an adult protective services (APS) division.
- Re-designed several states’ approach to critical incident management to better support intake and resolution of reported incidents.
- Assisted a state healthcare agency create a new division to streamline its provider licensure, certification, and monitoring functions across five existing state agencies. Eliminated duplicate activities by successfully streamlining the provider certification process.
- Assisted a client develop its Delivery System Reform Incentive Payment (DSRIP) program. Developed the application materials for the MCOs and providers to apply for funding and created and conducted trainings for providers.