Sean Rayment is an Associate Director in the Disputes & Investigations practice. He has more than 11 years of experience providing litigation, accounting, financial and forensic consulting services to organizations and their counsel in variety of business issues and disputes. Sean's consulting efforts have included providing financial consulting services in bankruptcy matters, preparing, analyzing and rebutting claims for damages in commercial litigation matters, providing forensic and investigation accounting services, analyzing and preparing claims in personal injury matters and other consulting services in business disputes. He has performed various financial and economic analyses and has studied the financial condition of entities under a variety of circumstances. This work has included the analyses of business records and financial documents necessary in determining the economic impact to the entity's operations, revenues and costs.
Select Engagement Highlights:
- Bankruptcy (Entertainment) – Worked as financial consultant to the Chapter 11 Trustee in the liquidation of multiple related businesses including a concert promotion company and a bar/nightclub in Tucson, Arizona. Sean was responsible for the preparation of required bankruptcy forms and filings including Statement of Financial Affairs and Operating Reports, investigation and identification of assets owned by the estate, marketing and sale of assets owned by the estate, and investigation of various allegations and issues including claims of insider transactions, preference claims, avoidable transfers and other voidable obligations.
- Bankruptcy (Recreational Vehicles) – Assisted in performing feasibility analysis of Debtor’s plan of reorganization for secured lender group in the bankruptcy of a large RV Dealership. Also assisted Counsel in evaluating Debtor’s overall financial condition and projections including review of cash flow projections.
- Damage Analysis (Real Estate Development) – Assisted in the review, analysis and rebuttal of an approximately $40 million damage claim against a residential real estate developer. Plaintiffs alleged that Defendant fraudulently induced them to enter into a real estate transaction and in addition, breached an option agreement allegedly executed between the parties. Sean's primary responsibilities in this matter included review and analysis of the documents and data produced, evaluation of the economic claims put forth by Plaintiff including identification of weaknesses and areas for rebuttal, preparation of an alternative damage model and assistance in preparation of an expert rebuttal report.
- Damage Analysis (Mining)– Assisted in the revie w and rebuttal of an approximately $13 million damage claim against Defendants for allegedly underpaying royalties due to Plaintiffs per the terms of a Lease Agreement executed between the parties. Sean's primary responsibilities included review and analysis of the financial and operating documents produced, interviews of key personnel, analysis of the the assumptions and calculations included in Plaintiffs damage claim, preparation of alternative damage calculations, and assistance in the preparation of an expert rebuttal report. Additionally he assisted in preparing counsel for depositions of key witnesses and assisted counsel in preparation for direct and cross-examination of expert witnesses at trial.
- Damage Analysis (Waste Management) – Assisted counsel and client in defense of allegations of diminution of value of a business as a result of under-delivery of recyclable material to Plaintiff in accordance with the terms of an agreement be tween the parties. Sean's primary responsibilities included review and analysis of opposing expert reports to identify weaknesses and areas for rebuttal, review and analysis of documents and data produced to quantify actual amount of product delivered to Plaintiff, preparation of alternative damage calculation based on quantity of actual products delivered and assistance in preparation of expert report summarizing findings. Additionally He assisted counsel in preparation of direct and cross-examination of expert witnesses at trial and prepared numerous exhibits used at trial.
- Forensic Accounting/Damage Analysis (Telecommunications) – Assisted in the investigation of alleged fraudulent conduct of the former President and CEO of a telecommunications company. Sean's primary responsibilities included review and analysis of documents and data produced, interview of key personnel, re-creation of the company’s financial statements and fu nds tracing analysis to determine disposition of funds received and generated by the company, review and analysis of payments to and benefits received by the former President/CEO and/or his family members and preparation of schedules summarizing findings. In a separate but related lawsuit against the company’s accountants and attorneys, claiming professional negligence and aiding and abetting, He assisted in preparation of a calculation of damages incurred by the company and assisted in preparation of an expert report summarizing findings.
- Forensic/Investigative Accounting (Chemical Manufacturing) – Assisted client and counsel in preparing and validating insurance claims of approximately $45 million for environmental, remediation and legal costs incurred by a chemical manufacturer related to environmental contamination of multiple sites across the United States. Sean performed investigative analysis of the companies accounting systems to iden tify actual costs incurred at each site from approximately 1975 to 2013, created databases to accumulate and track identified costs, performed detailed review of invoices and other business records supporting costs incurred and reviewed internal accounting system and controls to validate costs coded to each site. He also assisted in preparation of an expert report detailing findings.
- Forensic/Investigative Accounting (Insurance) – Assisted in a litigation engagement where an insurance general agent was alleged to have misappropriated over $5 million from a large international insurance company. Primary tasks performed by Sean in this matter included review and analysis of the documents and data produced, preparation of a complex forensic analysis to determine the amount of premiums misappropriated and the disposition of those premiums, assistance in preparation of the expert report summarizing our findings and assistance to counsel in preparat ion for depositions of key witnesses.
- Personal Injury – Assisted in the evaluation of economic loss calculations claimed by multiple Plaintiff’s subsequent to a motor vehicle accident. Sean's primary responsibilities included review and evaluation of Plaintiffs present value of future medical care cost calculations and preparation of alternative present value of the future medical care cost calculations.