Barbara Pierce is an Associate Director in the Healthcare Performance Excellence practice at Navigant. She has more than 25 years of experience in community and academic hospital administration. Her hospital management experience includes both Adult and Pediatric Emergency Departments, Level 1 and Level 2 trauma centers, as well as medical helicopters and ground transport units.
Barbara also has leadership experience managing Urgent Cares, Critical Care, Telemetry units, Women’s Services and ancillary departments.
- Developed and implemented Performance Improvement plans for Emergency Department (ED) operational flow, and ED Throughput projects. Assessments and evaluations spanned various ED volumes and types, both community and academic centers. Assessments have included ancillary support departments such as lab, ED Registration, and imaging.
- Conducted staffing analysis of current staffing patterns and skill mix and recommended staffing patterns to meet patient demand patterns.
- Developed alignment of contracted and employed ED physicians. Developing and achieving unified goals and quality metrics.
- Performed readiness assessments for both Level 1 and Level 2 trauma state and American College of Surgeons Trauma Center Designation at Pediatric and Adult facilities.
- Led ED implementation project that included the mentoring of new ED Leadership, implementing new ED strategies and improved ED throughput. Lean Rapid Cycle strategies were used to assist ED teams dealing with capacity and behavioral health issues. Developed and implemented Surge Plans in conjunction with ED and hospital wide teams
- Created Urgent Care models of care.
- Achieved initial Magnet Status, re-designation of Magnet Status.
- Designed models for specific unit staffing based on patient throughput data and patterns. • Implemented expedited throughput processes based on the data and facility variables.
- Established quality dashboards, real time online throughput dashboards to improve throughput and quality of care.
Work History Valley Children’s Hospital, Fresno, California St. Mary’s Hospital, Lewiston, Maine St. Agnes Medical Center, Fresno, California Boswell Medical Center, Phoenix, Arizona Southeast Georgia Health System, Brunswick, Georgia Queen’s Medical Center, Honolulu, Hawaii Huntsville Hospital, Huntsville, Alabama Children’s Hospital of Alabama, Birmingham, Alabama Good Samaritan Regional Medical Center, Phoenix, Arizona Miami Valley Hospital, Dayton, Ohio.