Rita Morris is a Director within the Healthcare Strategy and Analytics practice with specific expertise in Business Strategy & Service Line Planning & Development. She returned to Navigant after a 4 year stint as an AVP for service line planning and development at Carolinas HealthCare System. Her experience includes system and hospital level strategic planning, clinical service line planning, performing market assessments and programs and service analysis, developing financial forecast models for strategic and capital planning, performing physician supply and demand analysis, developing physician hospital relationship strategies and developing growth and performance improvement initiatives and strategies with implementation plans. Rita has over fifteen years of healthcare experience and has an undergraduate in Business Administration and a Masters of Accounting and minor in Health Administration from UNC - Chapel Hill.
Rita has worked with all types of providers including large multi-hospital healthcare systems, academic medical centers, community hospitals, county-owned facilities and ambulatory surgery centers to prepare them for a Value Based Environment. Examples of her relevant experience and accomplishments include:
General Strategic Planning
- Prepared several multi-year strategic plans for large and small hospital systems. Strategic plans included market assessments, competitive profiling, physician analyses/interview, financial and operation assessment and strategies with concrete action items and implementation plans to help prepare for Curve 2 environment
- Conducted program and service line assessments and market assessments, which included detailed market analyses, SWOT Analysis, medical staff analysis, profitability by service line calculations, and providing recommendations for consolidation, growth or program development. Service lines included Cardiovascular, Women’s Health, Cancer, Neurosciences and Orthopedics
- Presented to and helped facilitate several executive and physician steering committees in evaluating various strategic options for overall growth, consolidation and/or reconfiguration
- Facilitated mergers and acquisition conversations between parties to determine strategic and operational opportunity
Strategic Planning and Development at Carolinas HealthCare System
- Led system-wide planning and development efforts for majority of high priority service lines including Behavioral Health , Cancer, Cardiovascular, General Surgery, Neurosciences and Orthopedics which includes conducting detailed situation assessments, market evaluations, organizational structure review, service line performance improvement opportunity evaluations, and quality/outcomes review
- Responsible for working with senior executive and physician leadership to develop comprehensive long term plans with implementation plan that prepare service lines for the future and the transformation from volume based to value based environment
- Facilitated collaboration discussions between primary Gcare and service line leadership to improve patient care coordination across care continuum, ensure service line plans are clinically integrated and assist with development of care pathways
- Assisted with comprehensive business planning and programmatic development efforts to advance various service lines (i.e., Levine Cancer Institute Patient Navigation Program, Integrative Oncology, Heart Failure, Afib Center, Vascular Services Development, Comprehensive Epilepsy Network, Neuro Hospitalist program)
- Responsible for system-wide service line planning infrastructure including development of tool kit with sample deliverables, assessment templates, e-library, organizational structure suggestions, physician and administrative job descriptions
- Developed financial forecast models for the purposes of scenario planning, capital allocation, debt capacity considerations and organizational reconfiguration/restructuring.
- Performed hospital profitability analysis / business imperative to help determine gaps in future operational performance.
- Assessed large integrated delivery system’s historical, current and budgeted financial and operational performance and helped quantify cost reductions of over $20 million and performance / revenue enhancements of $10 million.