Karen Hohenstein is a Managing Director with Navigant’s healthcare team, and has over twenty years of consulting experience. She is a recognized expert in the development of clinical integration networks, women’s health, pediatric and orthopedic program planning. Karen has led numerous strategic planning engagements for healthcare providers including major academic medical centers, urban and rural health systems/hospitals. These engagements have included health system strategy, clinical integration, service line planning, ambulatory care and ambulatory surgical planning, managed care strategy, and physician engagement.
Select professional experience:
- Health systems/hospitals – Developed strategic plans with a focus on organizational vision and objectives; strategic initiatives and outcome measures; and fostering organizational re-alignment coupled with implementation/resource planning.
- Clinical integration networks – Assisted organizations in designing, developing and successfully implementing a clinical integration networks that improve the quality of care for their patient populations, while enacting cost efficiencies. Her work included the assessment of market opportunity/strategic viability; organizational parameters, such as organizational structure, governance, leadership, physician participation; financial impact modeling; contracting support, infrastructure requirements and selection process.
- Service line planning – Evaluated the market, operational and financial feasibility of free-standing, specialty-specific facilities including women’s hospitals, pediatric facilities, orthopaedic hospitals, as well as integrative medicine, and cardiac and neuro service lines.
- Ambulatory care – Led the development of ambulatory care/outreach plans in large, middle and small markets, assessing the viability of ambulatory surgery centers and other hospital physician joint ventures. Specific deliverables included number and type of sites, location and programming for each site, and development of pro-forma income statements and capital projections.
- Hospital/physician integration – Directed engagements that addressed issues inherent in hospital-physician interactions. Engagement examples include evaluation of the value of an integrated physician group; redesign of compensation program for integrated medical groups; development of several hospital/physician joint contracting vehicles; formulation of physician requirements plans for entire hospital medical staff and specific subspecialty areas; evaluation/facilitation of hospital/physician joint ventures including outpatient surgery centers, diagnostic/imaging centers, women’s health centers, cardiac cath labs, and full-service specialty hospitals.
Prior to joining Navigant, Karen consulted for the Tiber Group, LLC and Andersen Consulting.