Bill Goetzler is a Managing Director in the Energy practice. Leveraging more than 20 years of consulting experience, his work focuses on energy-related issues for buildings, such as performing technology and market assessments, conducting modeling and analysis, and providing strategic planning assistance for public sector organizations, utilities, and manufacturers of products such as HVAC and refrigeration equipment, appliances, building controls, lighting, and renewable energy systems. Clients include equipment and component manufacturers, electric and gas utilities, trade associations, financial firms, and federal and state government agencies. He has collaborated with clients on projects in the U.S., Latin America, Europe, Japan, China, and Southeast Asia.
Select engagement experience includes:
- For the Southern California Gas Company, Bill is playing the lead technical role in a project to evaluate emerging energy-efficient technologies for gas-fired residential, commercial, and industrial equipment and create a “portfolio of the future” for promotion by SoCal Gas. After an extensive screening process of emerging technologies in the three sectors, several high-priority measures from each sector have been selected for pilot programs, and for further market and technology assessments. He also performed a similar role in evaluating energy efficient electric technologies in a project for San Diego Gas & Electric Company.
- For more than 7 years, Bill has led Navigant’s technical and analytical support to the U.S. Department of Energy (DOE) program manager for HVAC, water heating, and appliance R&D, including the evaluation and prioritization of current and future R&D activities, development of multi-year RD&D plans and road maps, and assistance in collaborative activities with industry stakeholders.
- For the California Energy Commission (CEC) Public Interest Energy Research (PIER) Buildings Program, Bill directed a project to assist the CEC in reviewing and revising their strategic plan and R&D portfolio. The project involved: evaluating current and emerging building energy usage trends and drivers in California; reviewing the impact of market, technological, and regulatory trends on building energy consumption; assessing how well the current program addresses these trends; and developing an action plan for implementing changes to the CEC R&D portfolio to enhance the relevance and impact of the PIER Buildings program.
- For a leading Japanese air conditioner manufacturer, Bill has led evaluations of U.S., European, Asian and Latin American market potential and has helped develop market entry strategies for various air conditioning and refrigeration products. Through competitive benchmarking, as well as interviews and focus groups with customers and key stakeholders, he also helped them redesign existing products and create new product concepts suitable for local markets.
- For a leading Asian electronics and building equipment manufacturer, Bill led a project to develop a global growth strategy for their building management systems business. The project involved benchmarking the client’s capabilities against those of global leaders, establishing a strategy for acquiring missing competencies, developing a go-to-market strategy for targeted markets and assessing differentiation opportunities for the client.