Julie Carey is an energy economist with deep experience providing expert evidence in energy related commercial and regulatory disputes, as well as international arbitrations. She has more than 20 years of experience addressing economic issues in power, oil and gas, coal, renewables, pipelines, and railroads sectors. Julie helps clients with issues related to energy market dynamics, competition, energy contract terms/practices, environmental, economic damages, valuation and macroeconomic analyses (i.e. jobs, GDP, taxes). For her assignments, Julie frequently employs statistical and econometric analyses.
Julie is an Adjunct Professor at Georgetown University where she teaches energy economics in the graduate economics program. Julie frequently provides media interviews and speaks at energy industry conferences about energy market dynamics and economic issues. Julie has worked with U.S. News and World Report, Forbes, the Economist, Oil and Gas Journal, USA Today, Sinclair Broadcasting, among others.
Selected project experience:
- Expert report before FERC demonstrating no harm to competition from the acquisition of a generating asset.
- Expert report in a bankruptcy court proceeding regarding past and future economic damages and economics of the product market, supply, demand and pricing.
- Expert consulting in a commercial dispute providing an economic analysis of crude oil markets, pricing and analysis of rail, truck, and pipeline transportation economics.
- Expert testimony in an international arbitration for an aluminum manufacturer involving an energy supply agreement dispute quantifying past and future economic damages.
- Expert report analyzing the economic impact (GDP, jobs etc.) from a crude oil pipeline replacement project.
- Expert testimony of economic incentives, economic efficiency, and market power implications of a proposed wholesale power market rule for transmission allocation.
- Expert report in an international arbitration providing an analysis of the solar panel market, reasonableness of market prices and the market value of solar power products.
- Expert consulting assisting a client seeking approval of negotiated rates for a crude oil pipeline with a competition analyses and economic analyses of the negotiations process.
- Expert consulting in a natural gas tolling contract dispute providing an economic analysis of natural gas and power markets and an analysis of past and future economic damages.
- Expert report analyzing the economic impact (GDP, jobs etc.) from a newly proposed power plant and evaluating the potential impact on competition.