Peter Badala is a managing director in the global Construction practice and leads the West Coast client service team. He has more than 33 years of national and international experience advising counsel and their clients on the myriad cost, schedule and other issues and disputes that can arise during the performance and administration of construction and government contracts including: accounting, auditing and contract cost compliance issues; federal and state False Claims Act (FCA) investigations and litigation; project risk and claims mitigation; and the preparation, defense and resolution of claims for change orders and extra work, delay, disruption, acceleration, lost productivity, contractor terminations and economic damages. His project experience spans all major industry sectors, including aerospace, chemical and petrochemical, energy, entertainment, healthcare, hospitality, infrastructure, manufacturing, marine, oil and gas, power, telecommunications, transportation and water.
Peter has offered expert testimony in numerous U.S. federal and state court jurisdictions, multiple international arbitration forums, the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission (FERC) and state regulatory commissions, and special administrative panels. He has received accolades for his expert work, including recognition as Strathmore’s Who’s Who Honors among construction expert witnesses and Who’s Who Legal leading expert witnesses in the field of commercial arbitration.
Selected engagement experiences include:
- Engaged by counsel for the owners and operators of one of the world’s largest pipeline system; provided expert testimony before the FERC and the Regional Commission of Alaska (RCA) explaining the principal reasons that contributed to the $510 million in design and construction cost overruns to modernize pipeline and address the prudence of management’s actions and decisions in managing the cost growth.
- Engaged by counsel for one of the world’s leading banks to review and analyze the compliance, adequacy and reasonableness of $1.2 billion in draw requests submitted by the borrower and general contractor on a syndicated construction loan facility of a multi-billion dollar hotel/casino project in Las Vegas that was never completed; testified in deposition and submitted an affidavit to the court in support of counsel’s successful summary judgment motion in favor of the bank.
- Engaged by general counsel for a major international EPC contractor to analyze the issues, events and responsibility for major project delays and cost overruns on an olefins recovery facility and a 220 megawatt power generation unit in Asia; supported the EPC contractor in negotiating successful resolution of all claims issues.
- Led a multi-disciplined team of Navigant cost and productivity experts retained by counsel for a joint venture to assist with the preparation of more than 30 discrete change order claims for delay, disruption, and extra work totaling more than $240M on a Private Toll Road. This project was one of four AB 680 highway projects selected by Caltrans to be built under a public/private partnership.
- Engaged by a leading California private university to provide construction cost audit, project risk management and claims mitigation advisory services in support of its four-year, $3.1 billion hospital replacement program, including the construction of two new hospitals and renovations to existing facilities, parking structures, and infrastructure projects