Navigant's GKS Fossil® is the industry's premier benchmarking service for fossil-fired generation plants. Using GKS Fossil®, power generators can measure and evaluate the operational performance and cost of their generating units against those of their peers. GKS Fossil® is not only a flexible tool for traditional benchmarking tasks, but is also a dynamic tool used for asset and portfolio management of generating assets. GKS Fossil® provides:
- Detailed, unit-level cost and reliability data on more than 2,000 generating units from more than 30 companies enabling subscribing companies to compare and contrast with peer units
- Information and analysis to assist in identifying specific ways to improve performance and reduce costs
- Rapid, convenient, web-based access to data configured to each subscribing company's unique needs
- The ability to define peer criteria as each subscriber sees fit—without compromising confidential company data
GKS Fossil® subscribers determine how their costs and performance measure against peers, identify performance gaps from where they are versus where they want to be, and gain insight into key areas for potential operational improvement.
Navigant's web-enabled GKS Fossil® benchmarking service is the leader in generation benchmarking with:
- More than 400 gigawatts (GW) of capacity
- Quarterly data updates
- High data comparability
- Data confidentiality
- Detailed cost and performance data
- Customized analysis
- Support for performance improvement plans
The GKS Benchmarking Process
GKS Fossil® goes beyond traditional benchmarking to provide companies with the specific cost and performance data and analysis they need to support decision-making for the best course of action.
Subscribers use information from GKS Fossil® generation benchmarking to:
Better understand their plant operations
Companies need to understand where they excel and where they need improvement. By comparing plant operations at a detailed level against peer units, GKS Fossil® helps subscribers as they choose areas for improvement, and provides insight into the potential impact actions may have on their performance and budgets.
Take an asset optimization approach to managing the fleet
Since all plants have a different risk/reward profiles, how companies invest their capital and maintenance dollars – and the return on these investments – is key to their financial success. GKS Fossil® provides companies access to information and analysis that supports decisions about how to increase the return on their asset investments.
Gain insight into future challenges and opportunities
By coupling information gleaned from GKS Fossil® with market/asset management tools, subscribers can increase their understanding of the challenges facing their generating plants, and adjust to proactively meet both today's growing energy needs, and plan for the future.
GKS Fossil® member‐companies represent a wide range of plant sizes and locations.